Monday, March 22, 2010

News Spreads

Saturday I called my sister to talk about down comforters and her washing routine.

In the course of the conversation she said, "Umm, do you have something you want to tell me?"

"About what?"

"Oh, about something you are planning on doing in the future."

"Mom told you, huh?"

"Ahh, yeah... So?"

I have two sisters and one brother. My brother in a career Sailor currently serving in Iraq so it's not a huge surprise to me or anyone else that he is supportive of my decision to join the Marines. The closest my sisters have ever gotten to anything military is hugging our brother. They are both so detached from all things military that when I put a "SEMPER FI" bumper sticker in my car one of my sisters asked me if it was a sorority that I had joined in college. I am/was not expecting either of them to understand or encourage me. Actually, I was expecting to get quite the lashing.

"Well," I began, "I'm joining the Marine Corps."

Bless her, my sister was trying to be gentle when she started saying, "Well, what exactly is the... ah. How did you... What am I trying to say?"

"What am I thinking?" I asked.

She laughed, "Well, yeah. What are you thinking?"

I pretty much laid it all down for her. My wish to serve my country. My drive to do something more. My revulsion at the thought of my glory days being high school and my goals to develop myself professionally and personally.

I expected her to lay into me about my responsibilities of home and how she thought I was crazy and she couldn't believe I was doing this and I was an idiot.

Instead, she amazed me by saying, "I understand. You want something that's yours. I told Mom that I could see that restlessness in you how you kept talking about wanting something more and school and wanting a challenge. I didn't know exactly what you were going to do and this is a huge shock but, at the same time, it really doesn't surprise me."

She went on to tell me she thought I would do a great job and be a great Marine. She was happy that I was doing something I've always wanted to do and wished me luck and success.

I was so blown away and so grateful and happy. If there's anything I've craved since the beginning of this process it's the support of those I love the most, my family. I have the greatest and most wonderful family a person could ask for and whereas I originally thought this may put them off I have been pleasantly surprised to find my family rallying around me and cheering me on.

It makes me feel so blessed to know I have such a support behind me. Not everyone can say that and I truly am grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment