Wednesday, March 17, 2010

ASVAB, MEPS, Duck Walk

When I took the practice ASVAB at my recruiter's office back in October or 2009 I got a score of 67. I was told that was still above average and good but I was not happy with it. The area of most issue was the Arithmetic Reasoning (AR) which both surprised and frustrated me. I'm very good at math and have always loved it, but, for one, I haven't taken any sort of algebra since high school (MANY years ago) and I am so precise in my calculations and processes that it takes me way too long to do a simple problem which means I didn't complete all of the AR questions in the alloted time frame.

I went out and got the McGraw Hill ASVAB study guide and a book called Painless Word Problems.

I worked through the entire Word Problems book and also worked through the McGraw Hill study guide.

However, whenever I took the practice tests in the back of the ASVAB study book I still couldn't go fast enough to complete all of the AR portion which severely hurt my final scores.

So it's not really a huge surprise that when the test day rolled around I was very nervous and anxious. I also had way too much coffee and was hit very strongly with the realization that this was really and truly happening. My leaving for MEPS meant that it wasn't just talk any more and there was no backing out (at least not in my mind). It was also the first time since my son was born that I would be away from him for the night and when you heaped all of those things together I was more jittery than a bunny rabbit on caffeine.

I had no appetite and could barely finish a few chicken sticks for lunch.

When we arrived at the recruiter's office I felt ill. Looking at my son smile up at me and giggle was almost too much to bear and I was so close to saying, "I can't do this." I know myself well enough to know that once he was out of my sight I would be able to recover so my husband lingering around with him and chatting with the recruiter was agony. As much as I didn't want them to go I was silently thinking, "I have to get out of here NOW or I won't be able to do this."

I was very relieved when my recruiter ushered my husband and son out of the front door and said we'd take the back. My husband threw my bag at me and said, "You carry your own gear." I would have laughed more heartily were it not for the fact I was feeling dizzy so I kissed him and my son quickly and turned my back to go before I either threw up or fainted.

As I had predicted, as soon as they were out of sight I started to feel better and by the time we were in the car and heading to MEPS I was almost back to normal with only a few small twists in my gut.

DAY ONE: THE ASVAB

We arrived at the MEPS and my recruiter chatted it up with a few other recruiters while I checked in with my Driver's License and Social Security card. There was also a form I had to sign. They had me read a small booklet with the rules and emergency plan and then took fingerprints of my right and left index fingers and a photo of me. Next I was told to proceed to the testing area where a Sailor would get me started.

The testing room was just a room with a desk, a lot of computers and a hushed, library-like atmosphere with a number of people taking the test.

The Sailor verified my information, sat me down at a computer and said, "Good luck."

I started the ASVAB.

Before I knew it I was done with General Science (GS) and on to Arithmetic Reasoning (AR). I have always been the kind of person who is nervous until I'm actually doing whatever it is that I'm nervous about. Once I'm actually doing the act I see no point in being nervous and I muscle forward in confidence, sure that I will do my best. I didn't even hesitate to start the AR section and before I knew it I was done. I had finished all of the questions with time to spare which made relief sweep over me and the rest of the test was a breeze.

I flew through the Word Knowledge (WK) and Paragraph Comprehension (PC) and even found the Mathematics Knowledge (MK) to be easy. The Electronics Information (EL) part was fun and only the Auto & Shop Information (AS) section was a little out of my range of knowledge. I made some educated guesses and moved on to Mechanical Comprehension (MC) which I had no problem with. Assembling Objects (AO) was the last section which was rather fun; kind of like doing a puzzle but without being able to move the pieces.

It was all over so quickly and the Sailor was back to verify my information again and tell me to go out to reception and wait for my recruiter.

He arrived and off we went to the office to check my score and fill out more paperwork.

When we got to the office, he queued up his computer and said, "Well, you got an 86."

I said, "WHAT!"

He said, "Yeah, look," while turning the screen to where I could see my score.

Sure enough, there it was. My AFQT was 86 with a GT of 118 and an EL of 120+ and the rest just kind of floated away. I was very, very happy.

Then I sat there signing my name again and again and again until my hand hurt. I signed statements of understanding that I had not taken drugs, had no tattoos, was not involved in any gang or discriminatory group, was not a Consciencious objector. Then I had to sign paperwork stating I was not sexually harassed and understood the Marine Corps policy on sexual harassment, drugs, tattoos and discriminatory groups. Finally I signed paperwork regarding my time in service and job though it is subject to change in the next few weeks. I also signed my background check forms stating that I had not lied and was agreeing to let the FBI pick apart my past.

After all of that was done my recruiter put all of that paperwork into a sealed envelop with mine, my husband's and son's birth certificates, Social Security cards and marriage licenses and told me to give it all to my liaison the next day at the MEPS.

Off we went to the hotel where I was briefed on the rules of no drugs, no alcohol, stay on your floor, dinner goes till 10:00, you must be in your room at 10:00, this is when you'll get your wake-up call, breakfast is served here, bus leaves at 5:20, stuff.

I went back to my room, called my husband and was happy to hear that my son had taken my absence much better than I had taken his. He ate dinner well and was currently getting sleepy and my husband was just about to put him to sleep. When I got off the phone with him I called my parents and gave them the update then grabbed my meal voucher for a much needed dinner. I was starved.

Just about the time I was leaving my room I remembered that there was a mandatory meeting for the MEPS applicants and I hurried to the room, glad that I was on time. There I met the only other female who would be my room mate.

After the meeting I went to dinner and had a large and tasty cheeseburger. My room mate came in shortly after I ordered and we ate together and talked about our chosen branches of service, why we wanted to serve and the like.

By the time I got back to my room it was about 9:00 and I was quick to call my husband to tell him goodnight and ask about his plans to come and pick me up at the MEPS the next day. I brushed my teeth, washed my face and slipped into bed where I lay wide awake for the next four hours. Even when I did manage to find I had fallen asleep, something as small as the heater kicking on would send my eyes shooting open where I would remain awake for another ungodly amount of time.

DAY TWO: MEPS

Four in the morning comes all too quickly when you can't sleep and before you know it the phone was ringing.

I took a quick shower, brushed my teeth and the phone rang to tell us that there had been flooding in some of the streets and we needed to hurry because the bus was leaving earlier than usual to take another route to the MEPS.

My room mate and I rushed down stairs where we stuffed ourselves with eggs, bacon and orange juice while the bus driver stood watch at the door and then we were on the bus and heading to MEPS.

The term "Hurry Up and Wait" is EXACTLY what MEPS is all about. We hurried into a line in front of the building only to wait for our turn to pass our bags through the screener and walk through a metal detector. We hurried into formation only to wait through a long and boring briefing about darned-near every room in the building and the rules such as no cell phones, no gum, no hands in pockets, no lying, go here, then there, then back here again, address everyone appropriately, don't be cute, have a nice day.

We hurried through role call and to our selected service liaison's office where the five of us who were joining the Marines were told the exact same things as in our original briefing only this time with many more expletives provided by our liaison, an ornery Staff Sergeant with the shortest strawberry blond hair you can imagine and sharp blue eyes that he was deliberate about boring into each and every one of us.

Then we hurried over to medical where we waited our turn to have our eyesight, ears, blood, urine and bodies checked from head to stinky toe.

I'm happy to report that I am not color blind, have better than average near sightedness in my right eye and perfect hearing.

I'm also not pregnant.

It was completely useless to be first in line because you still had to wait for everyone else to complete the process before you could move on anyway. Wether you were first, middle or last made no difference, you hurried and waited just as long as everyone else.

Finally it was time for me and the other gal to do our physical portion which was hilarious and kind of fun. We got stuck in a room by ourselves and told to strip down to our underwear. First they took our height and weight and I was irritated to find I am still four pounds underweight though my recruiter tells me he is sure to get me a waiver.

After that we had to wait for the doctor to come in and while we waited we read the motions off the board and were attempting to do them on our own. When the doctor and the nurse arrived we were both laughing and having a good time. We did all the funky movements and, yes, the duck walk does kind of stick with you.

Next we had to go individually into an exam room where the doctor looked us over head to toe. Mostly he asked me about my weight and pregnancy and then I was told to hurry and get dressed and wait in the reception area.

I hurried, I waited.

While waiting I took a peak at the doctor's notes and I was happy to see that he specifically noted I did not have an eating disorder, or allergy to any food and was healthy and normal.

Next it was time to go back to our liaison's offices and the five of us wannabe Marines hurried over there only to be colorfully told to sit down and wait. We hurried. We waited some more.

While we were waiting we noticed the other applicants chatting and laughing with their service liaisons while the five of us sat stick straight and silently outside of the Marine Corps office like we were waiting for the door to explode and that red-blond SSgt to come out guns blazing.

The other gal came out of her liaison office and said, "He told me to go to lunch. Want to come?"

I said, "My guy told me to sit here so I'm staying."

It was now 10:30 and the cafeteria was open, our stomachs were growling and while everyone else was heading to lunch the five of us sat there like little stone statues.

An hour rolled by and we didn't move.

Finally, the head guy who had initially briefed us upon entering came over and asked if any of us had eaten. We told him we hadn't and he stuck his head in the Marine Corps liaison's office, then came out and told us to go eat. We practically tripped over each other on our way to the cafeteria.

We ate fast and were back to the liaisons office where, FINALLY, the first one was called in.

Another forty-five minutes and I was called to the front desk to meet my husband and son. I was so happy to see both of them but couldn't stay to chat as I was the only one left to be seen by my liaison.

I went back to his office and sat there just as he brought another applicant out of his office.

"Did you do your pull-ups at your recruiter's office?" he asked the kid.

"Yes, Sir," the boy answered.

"Well, I don't give a [colorful-phrase] what you say you did there. You are going to do them for me, here. Get on my pull-up bar."

The boy hurried over to the red pull-up bar with "MARINES" stenciled all over it and started his pull-ups while the liaison counted them out.

I winced.

My prior recruiter had told me that there would be no strength testing at MEPS and to attempt to conserve my weight for the weigh-in I was told not to work out until after MEPS so I didn't loose any precious ounces. Outside of doing my daily Yoga I have not been working out, so I was a bit nervous as to what I knew was coming.

Sure enough, after the boy dropped from the bar, the SSgt turned to me and said, "You! Did you do your flexed-arm hang?"

"No, Sir."

"Get on my bar."

Because I'm shorter than most he had to give me a boost up to the bar where I held on for dear life as he timed me on his watch.

I was very surprised to here the words, "You're doing good," come out of his mouth and I did 32 pathetic seconds before I dropped to the floor.

Wordlessly he disappeared back into his office and because I was not told to follow I sat back in the waiting area and waited some more.

Another ten minutes went by and he finally called me in to go over my paperwork.

We got to the drug portion and I knew what was going to happen.

"Have you ever taken any drugs?"

"No, Sir."

"Abused any prescription drugs?"

"No, Sir."

He looked me in the face doubtfully. "Never a hit from marijuana? Not a night at a party where you were having a little too much fun..."

"No, Sir."

"You're sure, because it doesn't necessarily disqualify you. You lie to me, however, and I find out about it and you will be disqualified and can be prosecuted for fraudulent enlistment. So, I'm going to ask again, ANY drugs?"

"No, Sir."

"Have you ever gotten high off of anything?"

"No, Sir."

He doesn't know that growing up I never so much as touched the stuff. Sure, I had the same opportunities as others to do drugs but they scared me to death. After hearing one girl talk about being date raped and having a bad trip where she was hallucinating worms on the walls and waking up in rooms she couldn't recognize without her clothes as a result of getting high I was scared straight and never so much as wanted to look at the stuff. I am a pure drug virgin and plan on dying that way.

"I bet you don't have many people who can say they've never touched drugs," I said.

"Everyone says it," he said, a touch of annoyance in his voice, "I just don't believe it."

"I suppose that's true," I said. "People don't believe me when I say I've never touched drugs but I haven't. And I don't care if they believe me or not. I know what I know and it's that I've never done any kind of drugs."

He rolled his eyes and carried on with the paperwork, making notes as we went.

When I was done he gave me my Service Record Book (SRB) and told me to give it to my recruiter and ordered me out of his office.

After that I checked out and walked out of the MEPS into fresh air, happy to see my husband sitting in the car with our son in his lap, his head sticking out of the window and pointing at me.

We had to go over to the recruiter's office and give him my SRB and my husband had to sign some stuff indicating that he is mentally, physically and financially able to take care of our son while I'm in training.

After that he took me out to dinner and it was time to go home.

All in all it was a boring, long process.

I would never be convinced that it is hard or bad or humiliating, etc. I suppose that after giving birth and having at least twelve doctors and nurses seeing me naked, screaming and sweaty, having another doctor and nurse and girl see me in my underwear while I duck walk around the room is nothing.

Next I have to get my college transcripts, which I requested this morning, and when all of the blood work and initial background check info comes back I will swear in and sign my Department of Defense (DoD) contract and be sworn in to the DEP.

I'm told this should all be done before April 1 and right now I have my choice between an August ship date and an October one.

We'll see, but I'm wanting to take the August one.

Till then, it's just more waiting.

1 comment: